Friday, July 15, 2011

What Do These People With the White Binders Want? And Am I Horrible For Finding them Super Annoying When All They Want is to Help Charity?



Anyone who walks around downtown Toronto has had the experience of walking by these binder holding charity workers. What do they want? In all my years living in Toronto I never actually bothered to stop and find out. I am either in such a rush to not be late to wherever I am heading or I want to make sure whatever money I am holding in my pockets goes to the coffee I am craving so badly.
So why write a post about them if I never cared enough to find out what they want? Because they multiplied drastically over the years. I cannot walk down any of this city's major streets without feeling like a horrible person for not caring. A lot of the actions I partake in during the day should have made me accustomed to feeling like that, but I do not need to be continuously reminded when five of them are trying to stop me in the span of one block. I am getting sick of not being able to walk in my own city without having to apologize to at least a dozen of these people.
I must give credit to some of them though. A handful of them are very attractive and are quite aware that this is all they need to stop their charitable listeners. It is the super charming bunch, however, that will always get a proper smile and apology from me. The ones who are super quick to pick something unique in their attempt to stop you. "If I guess what's in your bag you have to stop and talk to me!" or "You are too worldy looking to not stop and hear what I have to say."
We musn't forget the shy bunch of binder holders. The ones who are hoping you will approach them. They are my favourite group because all they need is to read my facial language and they immediately clear way.
I am by no means stating that Torontonians shouldn't help these awesome charities and organizations. I think what they are doing is great. I just miss the old days in Toronto when the only people I had to feel bad about walking past were the gentleman handing out Black History booklets.

No comments:

Post a Comment